I am a health psychologist with a particular interest in eating-related behaviors (i.e., body image, weight management, obesity risk). I am especially interested in romantic partners’ role in eating-related behaviors. Some of my research has also examined parents’ influences on their children’s eating-related behaviors and media influences on body image. A complementary line of research that I have been involved in focuses on the role that personality qualities play in individuals’ adoption of health-related behaviors. Some of my research combines these two lines of research through the investigation of young adult heterosexual, gay, and lesbian couples and the role that both their relationships and their personalities play in influencing their health.
The research projects I am working on in 2019 include:
- The Body Image Book for Girls: Love Yourself and Grow Up Fearless
- Adolescent Girls’ Social Media Use and Body Image
- Risk Factors for Both Obesity and Eating Disorders (as a part of the International Academy of Body Image, Eating Problems, and Health collaboration)
- Body Image in the Context of Chronic Illness and Chronic Pain
- Positive Body Image
- Heterosexual, Lesbian and Gay Couples’ Health (body image, eating behaviors, well-being)