I am a health psychologist with a particular interest in eating-related behaviors (i.e., body image, attempts at weight loss). I am especially interested in social influences on eating-related behaviors. My research has examined romantic partners, parents, and media influences on eating behaviors and body image.
The research projects I am working on in 2022 include:
- The Body Image Book for Girls: Love Yourself and Grow Up Fearless
- Being You: The Body Image Book for Boys
- Social Media Use and Body Image
- Risk Factors for eating problems and body dissatisfaction (as a part of the International Academy of Body Image, Eating Problems, and Health collaboration)
- Health care providers’ understanding of weight and body image
- Positive Body Image
- Heterosexual, Lesbian and Gay Couples’ Health (body image, eating behaviors, well-being)
I also write for non-academic audiences, including Psychology Today and U.S. News and World Report.
Here’s a recent article I wrote about Dr. Oz and the politicalization of health.
Infographics that provide an overview of some of our recent publications: